Monday, May 5, 2008

earth hour


8:30 pm 29/03/08

I just received a forwarded message saying that everyone must have their contribution for allaying the looming crisis of our Mother Earth by turning off the lights for about an hour (8:00 to 9:00 pm). The text said that everyone must cooperate and if I care I must forward it to others. I thought it was the same, nonsense chain messages passed everyday, so I deleted it after a short musing. Well, what's wrong about turning the lights off for an hour for the sake of Mother Earth? I don't know. After I ate my dinner alone, I opened the TV and a flash report headline startled me: "Prime Cities in World Join Energy Conservation on Earth Hour." It hits home, and I felt a bothering apathy embracing me. It's as if I am stoking a great fire. The video focused on how leading cities spearhead a small event for a future vicissitude. Rampant gasoline-combustion and spendthrift use of power and energy were main causes of Global Warming. Though Kyoto Protocol was promulgated to reduce factors affecting the Global Warming, many people were still indifferent at this issue. And I'll not hesitate to count myself as one of them. As a student, I am aware on the alleged consequences of this phenomenon. Sustainable environment and planning were endorsed as an efficient alternative of living, passive cooling techniques were revived and cutting-edge discoveries about biofuels and substitutes were being debated. Along with the Earth's slow-paced degeneration, Global Warming's horrible effects serve as an eye-opener to thousands of concerned people, and many were enlightened to act wisely and save our planet just in the nick of time. Think about it. I'm not one of them, but I'll try observing first and have enough knowledge; I will act very soon, like others, to salvage our very own planet.

No comments: